Are you starting out in your screen industries career and looking to make your mark in the sector? The Fundamentals of Virtual Production is a fully funded six-month programme of training, workshops, masterclasses, industry insights and mentoring for people based in Yorkshire and the Humber. It will introduce you to the production method of Virtual Production (VP), which is revolutionising the screen industries in the region and beyond.
Beginning in January 2023, training sessions will be held weekly on a Tuesday at SIGN’s Creativity Lab on Campus West at the University of York, from 10am to 2pm. The sessions will be delivered by LightForge Academy in partnership with SIGN staff. As part of the programme there will also be opportunities to visit VP spaces and hear from experts in the region. You’ll undertake masterclasses and team projects to develop strong knowledge in this emerging area.
What is Virtual Production?
Virtual Production, or VP, uses a suite of software tools, or games engines (e.g. Unity, Unreal Engine), to combine live action footage and computer graphics in real-time content creation. This production method has been used in TV series like The Mandalorian and House of the Dragon. Find out more about this new technology by watching our short film.
Who can apply?
This programme is open to applicants who are:
- From underrepresented ethnicities
- From a socially or economically disadvantaged background
- Aged over 35 and entering the screen industries sector for the first time
To apply, you must:
- Be a UK resident, or be eligible to work in the UK, have a personal UK bank account and a UK postal address
- Have a connection to Yorkshire and the Humber (for example, you could live in the region, work here, or have been educated at a Yorkshire and Humber based institution)
- Have some knowledge or experience of UnReal Engine or similar software, be a Gamer, or have some knowledge or experience of the Film/TV production industries
- Download the Fundamentals of Virtual Production guidance document to find out everything you need to know about the programme
- Submit your application form (this should take approximately 30 minutes to complete). The deadline for submissions is 5pm on Thursday 20 October 2022
- In person interviews will be held in York on Tuesday 8 November, and successful applicants will be notified by email on Friday 11 November
For any queries or assistance please, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Screen Industries Growth Network: https://screen-network.org.uk/